Best 6 Person Tent of 2020 – A comprehensive guide
People enjoy camping with family and friends. If you have planned a camping trip this summer with your friends, it’s necessary to get your hands on the right camping gear so you can enjoy your trip. While there are various things you need to purchase before you head out, one of the most important things happens to be a tent. If you are 5 or 6 people then investing in the best 6 person tent is something you should put some serious thought into.
Factors To Consider When Purchasing the best 6 Person Tent
If you are planning to purchase a good quality tent but you don’t know where to start, then here are a few factors you need to take into consideration prior to purchasing the best 6 person tent.
Although a three-weather tent is the most popular tent available, you can also consider getting a four-weather tent for better protection.
A three-weather tent is the most popular choice for campers. These tents are light in weight and make it easy for you to travel. They work relatively well in protecting you from the spring, the summer and the fall.
These tents come with a mesh that helps to increase ventilation but still manages to keep out the insects. The problem with the mesh is that fine dirt and dust particles still enter the tent. These tents can withstand heavy rainfall however they are not the ideal tents to hold up against stormy weather or a windy night. The main functionalities of a 3 weather tent include:
- Keeping you dry during light rain or snowfall
- Protecting you from insects and bugs
- Providing privacy and a cozy place to sleep
A four-weather tent is a heavier and stronger tent designed to withstand heavy snowfall and strong wind conditions. They have been smartly engineer to stand strong even during a storm or even if a tree falls over the tent. These tents use more poles than a three-weather tent and come with rounded domes to prevent snow or rain collection.
These tents have fewer meshes and this tends to hinder the ventilation. However, when there is very strong wind, this feature helps to protect the people inside the tent.
Different tents are of different vertical lengths. While some people are comfortable crouching around in a tent, there are those that prefer to walk around freely without hitting their heads. If you are looking for the best 6 person tent, you need to make sure you have a clear idea of the kind of tent you want. There are mainly two styles available:
· Cabin Style Tent
A cabin style tent has almost a wall like vertical length enabling you to walk around freely. These tents actually resemble a room and make it a lot more comfortable for you to stay in.
· B. Dome Style Tent
A dome style tent does not have too much vertical height but these tents are stronger than cabin style tents and have a wind shielding ability. These tents are strong even during stormy nights and prevent the accumulation of water and snow on the roof of the tent. However, owing to its dome shape there is less space inside and you may not be able to stand upright inside these tents.
3. Tent Door
When you choose the best 6 person tent, you may want to consider the number of doors the tent has. While it may seem convenient to have one door for a simple 6 person tent, this becomes inconvenient if everyone is asleep in the tent and the farthest person from the door wants to exit the tent.
Cabin style tents tend to have a better shape and more doors in comparison to a dome shaped tent. You also need to consider the amount of noise it makes when opening and closing the doors. You will also need to check how comfortable it is.
4. Tent Poles
The poles of a tent are what hold up the tent. This determines whether the tent will withstand a rough storm or not. It also determines how easy or difficult it is to put up the tent. A freestanding tent is easier to assemble in comparison to one that needs to be roped around trees.
Campers prefer freestanding tents because you can choose where you want to set up the tent rather than depending on external support and being forced to pick a camping site. However, such tents do not withstand windy conditions as effectively as ones that have external support.
Fewer poles may enable faster setup but it is also important for you to consider other factors such as ventilation, balance, strength and the material of the poles before you invest in one. While fiberglass tent poles have gained a lot of popularity, aluminum poles are known to be stronger and last longer.
A rainfly is a cover that you need to purchase separately however sometimes it comes with the tent. This waterproof cover is used to cover the roof of your tent when you expect heavy rainfall. It provides extra cover for the people inside the tent and also ensures that the rainwater does not seep in.
There are two types of rainfly’s available. First is the roof only rain fly which provides rain protection and the second is a full coverage rainfly that is more heavy duty and provides protection from rain, wind and cold.
6. Tent Material
When purchasing the best 6 person tent, make sure you understand the fabrics of the tent completely. Also make sure you check the seam. It is also recommended to purchase a seam sealant when you head out during the monsoons since this prevent your seams from leaking.
7. Vestibule Or Garage
This is a small space that will be at the side of your tent to store your dirty shoes in case you have walked through wet train. This is also an accessory that you may or may not get along with your tent.
When you are purchasing the best 6 person tent, you need to make sure there is ample ventilation. If not, you will start to feel stuffy and claustrophobic inside.
Try to invest in a tent that has a mesh ceiling and windows as well. This will provide cross ventilation and will keep you comfortable even during warm and humid conditions.
Best 6 Person Tent of 2020
Now that you have a fair idea of what you need to look for before investing in the best 6 person tent, let’s take a look at some of the top picks from Amazon.
1. CORE 6 Person Instant Cabin Tent
- Instant 60 Second Setup; Sleeps 6 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72".
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and large wall organizer to keep items neat and off the tent floor
This amazing 6 person instant cabin tent comes with a wall organizer to save up on floor space. The cabin measures 72 inches vertically and this enables you to walk around comfortably in the cabin without having to bend or crouch. The best part about this best 6 person tent is that it just takes 60 seconds to set up.
You can easily fit two queen size air mattresses inside the tent and six people can comfortably sleep in the tent without feeling claustrophobic or cramped for space. It comes with an advanced ventilation feature and various wall loops which act as storage pockets.
This cabin tent also comes with ground air vents and is waterproof. This is a three-weather tent that is ideal to protect against light rain or snow. However, you may not get a lot of protection when it comes to heavy rain or fierce winds.
Investing in this six person tent is one of the best things to do if you are a regular camper because this tent lasts long. It is dependable and can be used all year long as long as the weather does not get out of hand.
- Very comfortable
- Advanced venting feature
- Extra gear storage space
- Instant setup
- Does not withstand windy conditions
- Can be tricky to take down
- Not ideal for people above 6 feet in height
- The vent allows debris to blow into the tent
- Does not come with attached cushioning
2. Coleman Sundome Tent
- WEATHERPROOF: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- WIND AND RAIN TESTED: Strong frame withstands 35+ mph winds
- GREAT VENTILATION: Large windows and ground vent for enhanced airflow
This Sundome tent is perfect when it comes to picking the best 6 person tent. With over 10,000 positive reviews on Amazon, this four-weather tent is extremely durable and will withstand even the windiest of conditions. It is easy to setup and comes with the WeatherTec system that ensures the inside of your tent stays dry, no matter what.
The perfect dome shaped tent prevents any accumulation of water or snow on the roof of the tent. This ensures that the integrity of the tent is not compromised. It comes with multiple storage pockets around the walls of the tent thereby making it easy for you to store your cell phone, your keys and other accessories without losing them in and around the tent.
This tent is extremely airy and has ample space for up to six people to stay in comfortably. It measures 7 feet by 5 feet and is approximately 4 feet in height. This does not make it ideal for people to walk around upright.
The tent also comes with a 1 year warranty. Although this tent is heavy duty, it is actually quite light in weight and weighs only 7 pounds.
- Four-weather durable tent
- Strong Amazon reviews
- Easy to setup
- Complete coverage from rain and snow
- 1 year warranty
- Since it is only 4 feet in height, it is difficult for people to stand upright in the tent
- While it is easy to setup, it takes about ten minutes to set up the tent
- Does not come with cushioning to sleep on
- It can accommodate only one queen size air mattress
- The mesh allows a bit of dust to enter that tent
3. Coleman Dome Tent with Screen Room
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 ft. Full-floor screen room
This Coleman dome tent is the best 6 person tent which is comfortable and spacious. The tent comes with a screen room and a screened-in porch which makes it comfortable for people to sit at the front of the tent and simply enjoy the beauty of nature. This also becomes an extended sleeping space at night.
The screen room can only be used during warmer months since it is open and will not provide a lot of protection from the cool breeze or water. It comes in a dome shape which prevents accumulation of water or snow on the roof. This ensures that is lasts a lot longer than regular tents.
The tent also has multiple storage pockets for small necessities and it helps you keep your important things in place. One of the best features of this tent is its protective seam design which prevents water from seeping in and damaging the integrity of the seam.
It is also constructed to have a very strong frame which protects it even during the stormiest of weather conditions. It has neat redesigned poles that form a perfect triangle for optimum ground support.
- Added screen room
- Super spacious
- Designed to withstand harsh winds and weather conditions
- Multiple storage pockets for small necessities
- Zipper protection from the weather
- It is expensive
- The tent is a little small if you do not consider the screen room
- You cannot stand straight in the tent
- The entrance to the tent is small
- The poles could be made of better material
4. OT QOMOTOP Tent
- 【Instant Setup】Instant design makes you set up inner tent within 1 minute. 1 person can set it up without any difficulty.
- 【Waterproof Tent】 PU taping for both rainfly seam and inner tent seam, PE Tube floor with welded corners, which keep the inside of the tent absolutely dry during heavy rain.
- 【Spacious Interior】Measures 10 x 9 feet with 5-foot 6-inch center height. Spacious interior has room for 1 queen size airbeds and other camping gears. For a more comfortable space, it is recommended for 3 adults and 3 children.
This instant 60 second setup tent is a strong and sturdy camping tent that can be called the best 6 person tent. The tent comes with a rainfly which means you can use it even during the monsoon without actually having to spend on another rainfly to keep you protected.
The tent also comes with an advanced venting design which ensures that the temperature inside the tent is always cool, irrespective of how hot it is outdoors. The tent stands as tall as 66 inches and is 10 feet by 8 feet, making it comfortable for 6 people to sleep in.
You can easily fit two queen size mattresses inside the tent or use sleeping bags. It also comes with a storage bag and a floor mat which ensures that you do not come in with dirty feet. The tent can be neatly folded and you also get a carry bag to take the tent along with you.
This tent comes with open ventilation on the ceiling and when it’s not raining, you can easily admire the starry nights from inside the tent. This is a three-weather tent that is waterproof and does not allow any water to seep in even from the seams.
- Instant setup
- Advanced ventilation feature
- You can walk upright inside the tent
- Quite spacious for 6 people
- Advanced venting design
- It is a little difficult to take down
- It is not designed for windy conditions
- It is a little heavy to carry
- The mesh will not protect you from tiny bugs
- Not as durable as other tents in this category
5. ALPS Mountaineering 6-Person Tent
- Easy assembly with a free-standing, two-pole design and shock corded fiberglass poles
- Polyester fly resists water and UV damage, while providing an awning over each door
- Fully equipped with storage pockets, gear loft, steel stakes, guy ropes, two awning covered doorways, two zippered windows and large side mesh panels
This cute dome shaped tent is perfect for 6 people and comes with some amazing features to ensure you have a great time when you are out in nature. It comes with a zipper mesh door as well as mesh side panels to provide maximum ventilation and comfort.
This is a one of a kind tent that has dual doors which means you don’t have to worry about crawling over one another if you have to get out of the tent at night. This is a freestanding tent and does not require any support system in order to be set up.
This waterproof tent is an all weather solution which comes with a rainfly. This not only protects against the rain but also against strong wind. You can fold this tent into a really small size and carry it comfortably wherever you want to go.
It comes with side storage pockets on the wall and also has a limited lifetime warranty, which is rare to find in tents. It is quite tall in height and people of an average height can stand upright in the tent. This is actually a rare occurrence when it comes to a dome shaped tent.
- Sturdy design
- Comes with a rainfly
- Cross ventilation
- Designed to withstand heavy winds
- Dual door
- It is expensive
- Not ideal for very tall people
- It is a little heavy to carry around
- There is not too much privacy with this tent
- The zipper on the door tends to get stuck
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I choose the best tent for me?
There are a vast variety of different kinds of tents in the market and this makes it difficult for you to decide which tent is apt for you. One of the best ways to figure out the best 6 person tent is to make note of the various features the tent has to offer and see which of these features you actually require the most.
Once you narrow down the features, you will manage to make the right choice and find a tent that is just right for you.
2. Is it essential to have a rainfly on the tent?
While some tents come with a rainfly while others don’t. Although you may believe that you are headed out for camping in dry weather and there is no need for a rainfly, weather is always unpredictable. It is highly recommended to always carry a rainfly along for safety.
3. Should I choose a three-weather tent or a four-weather tent?
If you plan on going camping in a warm and dry area and you know that it is not going to be very windy, then there is no reason for you to invest in a four-weather tent. If the area is prone to storms, then you may want to consider investing in a four-weather tent.
There are so many factors that you need to take into consideration when choosing the best 6 person tent. A smart way to figure out which tent suits your requirements is to make a list of what you need as opposed to what you can live without. Once you have that list ready, it will be easy for you to narrow down your selection.
We have given you a list of some of the best 6 person camping tents on Amazon and we hope that you find your favorite tent from the list above.
Last update on 2020-11-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API