Best Backpacking Saw 2020 – An Absolute Necessary Tool
Backpackers have a wide variety of different kinds of saws to choose from. If you enjoy heading out in the woods and spending time in nature it’s important you get your hands on the best backpacking saw so that your trip is comfortable and you are able to cut through vegetation while you are moving ahead with your trek.
Factors To Consider When Purchasing The Best Backpacking Saw
If you have made up your mind about purchasing the best backpacking saw then there are a few factors you may need to take into consideration. This will help you get one that you are actually happy about.
There are various kinds of backpacking saws available out there. You need to figure out which one will work perfectly for you. Let’s take a look at a few of the types that are available so that you can make an informed decision.
· Folding Saw
Folding saws are the most popular backpackers choice because these are easy to carry and safer to take along with you. They usually have a lot of teeth which make it easier to cut and they are so compact that they can just slip into your pocket.
· B. Pocket Chainsaw
Pocket chainsaws are similar to folding saws. They are also compact, lightweight and easy to use. These saws are known to have aggressive tooth patterns making it easy for you to cut. However, the angle of the blade is not curved and this could be difficult when it comes to cutting edges.
· C. Bow Saw
Bow saws are in the shape of a bow and they are popularly used for pruning and cutting. While they are the strongest of the three choices, they are not compact and this could make it a little difficult for you to carry around.
This is one of the most crucial factors you should consider. While there are various kinds of backpacking saws available, you need to figure out which one you are most comfortable handling and which one of them would be easier for you to take out in the woods.
The best backpacking saw would be one that has a blade that is at least 50% longer than the wood you want to cut. While this seems like an easy decision to make, you also need to ensure it fits into your backpack.
4. Blade Material
The material used to construct the blade is the most important factor. Do not judge a saw by its price but by the blade material because this will determine how durable the saw will be.
It is always recommended to purchase a saw with stainless steel blades because it will never rust. Something that comes with a chrome coating over the blade is also ideal.
5. Design And Safety
The saw design will decide how comfortable you can get with it and this also ensures you will be safer using it. You also need to consider safety features such as the lock or a carry case when picking the best backpacking saw for you.
Best Backpacking Saw of 2020
If you are determined to purchase the best backpacking saw, then let’s take a look at the top models that Amazon has on offer.
1. Samurai Ichiban 13″ Curved Pruning Saw
- 13" blade with impulse hardened teeth with tapered grind to reduce binding
- 4mm tooth pitch
- Ergonomic, rubber cushioned handle
Ichiban is one of the most popular saw making companies in the market. If you are looking for the best backpacking saw, then this Samurai Ichiban 13″ Curved Pruning Saw is a great choice. With almost 300 all 5-star reviews on Amazon, this multipurpose backpack saw is a breeze to use.
It is a folding saw which comes with a large 14 1/5 inch curved blade that makes it easy for you to reach even the tough corners and allows you to trim edges with precision. The low angle curve of this blade is uniquely designed to make it comfortable for you to handle and move the saw back and forth with ease.
It has a non slip 2 handed rubber handle which makes it easy to operate the saw without getting tired. The handle also has a cushioning which provides comfortable grip, even in sweaty or wet conditions.
- Reliable brand name
- Extra large teeth
- Curved blade
- Easy to use
- Foldable and easy to travel with
- It is a little big
- The material of the blade could have been better
- It will not fit in your pocket
- It is expensive
- Does not cut through thick vegetation
2. Bahco Folding Saw
- General purpose folding saw with an 7-1/2 -inch blade, 7 teeth per inch, for cutting both green and dry wood, plastic, or bone.
- XT Toothing, 7 TPI. Blade is specially coated for rust protection and low friction.
- Two-component plastic handle for perfect grip, with leather strap.
Reviews don’t lie and when a product has over 5000 all 5-star ratings, you can trust that it is a top product. This folding saw comes with a seven and half inch curved blade that is very easy to use.
This multipurpose saw comes with 7 teeth per inch making it convenient for you to complete the job in a short time span. It works well on green and dry wood along with bone and plastic as well.
It has a special coat to prevent it collecting rust and it also has low friction. It comes with a two component plastic and leather handle and a leather strap which makes it easy for you to handle the saw.
This is specifically designed for people who enjoy spending time in the woods, especially hunters. It comes with a safety lock that allows you to lock the blade when it is in and out. This prevents the blade from snapping out of the body, even in thick vegetation.
- Versatile saw
- Rust free blade
- Lock in and lock out feature
- Two component plastic and leather handle
- Compact and fits in your pocket
- None so far
3. Corona RS 7510D
- REMOVES 2X MORE MATERIAL: RazorTOOTH saw technology; 18” blade is ideal for cutting branches up to 9-10” in diameter
- MAXIMUM SHARPNESS: Each tooth is triple-ground, providing multi-faceted angles to maximize efficiency of cuts and removal of wood
- UNBEATABLE STRENGTH: High carbon Japanese SK5 steel blade provides exceptional hardness
When it comes to investing in heavy duty backpacking saw, it can’t get any better than this Corona razor tooth saw. It is specifically designed for pruning and trimming and can get through even the thickest of branches because of its large 18 inch blade.
It is known to be extremely sharp and very efficient and you won’t have to go back and forth in order to slice through wood. It is made with high carbon Japanese steel and the teeth are impulse hardened to ensure that it lasts you a long time.
The saw handle is made using ergonomic plastic and rubber in a non slip D shape for your fingers to sleep in between the D for better grip. It is the best backpacking saw you can invest in and when you want to get some difficult task done quickly, this is one of the few saws you will enjoy using.
- Heavy duty saw
- Very efficient
- Impulse hardened blade
- Chrome plated rust free blades
- Not foldable
- It’s a big saw and is difficult to place in the backpack
- Does not come with a carry case
- Some people may find it difficult to operate as the handle is a little complicated
- Since it is a big saw, it may be a little heavy to handle
4. Primos Folding Saw
- The compact-folding saw quietly unfolds and locks into position
- Offset teeth
- Push-button lock
If you are looking for a compact backpacking saw then this Primos Folding Saw is a great choice. The blade is designed with Japanese cutting technology ensuring that you won’t have to struggle to make any cuts.
Coming from the house of Silky, Primos professional is the number one selling saw worldwide. It comes with impulse hardened teeth that ensures the blade stays stronger for longer. With 10 teeth per 30mm, you will manage to cut through wood a lot faster.
The saw is a foldable one that comes with a locking system and a clear plastic hinged carry case. This allows you to place the saw in your pocket when you need to travel and you can rest assured it will not cause any damages. This is a multipurpose versatile saw that comes handy for woodworking, landscaping and gardening.
- Number one selling saw
- Foldable design
- Clear plastic case for added safety
- Impulse hardened teeth
- Stainless steel rust free body
- Since it is a straight blade, cutting angles will be difficult
- The material of the blade is a little flimsy
- Not recommended for dense vegetation
- The clear plastic case tends to crack
- Is not ideal to cut through bone
5. KATANABOY 500mm Folding Saw
- PORTABLE FOLDING HANDSAW: This professional handsaw combines superior performance and ergonomics with high-quality design. The nonslip rubber handle is easy to grip and comes with a high-quality carrying case made of strong synthetic fiber. This saw is perfect for trail building, tree care, and much more!
- A VARIETY OF USES: You can use this versatile blade for a number of jobs, including pruning, trimming, branch cutting, doing construction projects, and maintaining your lawn and garden. No matter the work, whether it be hard or delicate, this blade makes the perfect addition to your tool collection. Add this handsaw to your toolkit today for effective sawing.
- LIGHTWEIGHT BLADE: This carbon-steel blade attachment was designed to be light enough to provide a smooth cut through harder objects without the teeth catching or getting stuck partway through. With this high-quality blade, you can complete difficult jobs far more effectively than with an average saw blade.
This professional backpacking saw is 500mm large saw that comes with a curved angle. This is one of the most popular curved angle pruning saws that you will find.
While this looks a little big, the operating weight of the saw is just 300 grams. This makes it convenient for you to use the saw for long durations without worrying about getting tired.
The saw comes from the house of Silky which is one of the most popular saw companies in the world. Made using stainless steel of the highest quality, this blade is one of the best in its class and comes with a nice leather case to keep it safe when not in use.
This saw can easily slip into your backpack and is amazing to cut through any kind of vegetation. This is an easy to use saw and will last you a long time.
- Popular curved pruning saw
- Japanese stainless steel
- Non-slip grip
- Nice leather case
- Flimsy blade
- The saw is a little big
- Takes some getting used to
- Is not that great to cut into bone
- It is a little expensive
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it necessary to invest in a folding saw?
All backpacking saws need not be folding saws however you need to make sure that the saw you invest in is easy to carry around. Even if it isn’t a folding saw, it should come with a case to protect it.
2. Are curved blades better than straight blades?
While some people look to invest in saws for pruning and gardening, others look to invest in one when they go out in the woods or when they go hunting. Depending on your requirement of the saw, you need to decide whether you will be comfortable with a straight or a curved saw.
3. How much should I spend on a backpacking saw?
The price range for backpacking saw varies from something that is very affordable to something that would burn a steep hole in your pocket. Instead of determining how much you should spend, you may want to take a look at the various features of the saw and then narrow down the price. This will help you get the best backpacking saw without spending too much money.
The best backpacking saw is multipurpose, compact and will last you a long time. We hope that we have explained to you the various factors to take into consideration as well as the best models you can invest in. You can make your choice once you figure out which one works out well for you.
Last update on 2020-11-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API