Best Folding Saw of 2020 – A Comprehensive Guide
Getting your hands on the right tools for gardening is always complicated, considering there are so many options to choose from. While certain tools may work perfectly for your lawn or garden, the others may be a complete waste of money. A folding saw is one tool that always proves to be beneficial while gardening. If you are looking to check out the best folding saw, then you have a wide array of options to choose from under this category as well.
Factors To Consider When Purchasing The Best Folding Saw
If you have made up your mind about investing in the best folding saw for your garden, then it’s important that you take into consideration these factors prior to making your purchase.
1. Material And Type Of blade
Although you may think that because it’s a folding saw, it comes in one particular design and material. However, there are various materials that a blade is made from and this determines the durability of the saw.
If the blade is made from iron it will tend to rust and rot over time. However, if you opt in for a stainless steel blade, this will last you a long time and will not rust. You can also choose between a curved and a straight blade, depending on your pruning requirements.
2. Handling Convenience
When it comes to a folding saw, one of the most important factors you need to take into consideration is the ease of use and how convenient it is to handle the device. There needs to be the perfect balance between the handle and the weight of the saw for you to conveniently prune your plants.
You may also want to look for a saw that is not very heavy since most of the saws are compact and you can hold them in one hand. A saw that is very heavy will tend to get you tired and you will not be able to efficiently prune your lawn or garden.
3. Number Of Teeth
Every saw comes with a certain number of teeth on the blade. It is these teeth that determine how efficiently the saw will prune your plants. The more the number of teeth, the higher the efficiency will be. When investing in the best folding saw, try to get your hands on one that has the most number of teeth.
Folding saws need to be safe so that you can use them without the risk of getting injured. These are very sharp devices and since you use them with your bare hands, you need to ensure that the model you invest in is designed keeping your safety in mind.
One of the best ways to judge whether or not the saw is safe to use is to check if it comes with a locking system on the handle. The locking system is an additional safety feature and is highly recommended to have in a folding saw.
The price range for the best folding saw can vary quite a bit based on its material and features. In order for you to get your hands on the best folding saw, it is recommended that you make a list of the features you want and compare it with the price you are willing to pay. This will help you narrow down your selection.
Best Folding Saw of 2020
Now that you have a fair idea of what you need to look for in the best folding saw, let’s take a look at the top models Amazon has to offer.
1. Bahco 396-LAP Laplander Folding Saw
- General purpose folding saw with an 7-1/2 -inch blade, 7 teeth per inch, for cutting both green and dry wood, plastic, or bone.
- XT Toothing, 7 TPI. Blade is specially coated for rust protection and low friction.
- Two-component plastic handle for perfect grip, with leather strap.
This amazing Bahco folding saw has large teeth and a 170mm blade which makes it convenient to prune your plants quickly. This is the best folding saw that is light in weight and comes in a neat folding design that won’t take up too much space in your backpack or pocket.
The blade of this saw is made using rust resistant material and comes with chrome plating. It has an impulse hardened non set tooth design. This design provides a higher rate of efficiency and is accuracy for cutting and pruning.
There are seven teeth per inch in this blade, making the action of cutting faster. The carrying case is made of plastic and it comes with a flip lock system to prevent the saw from abruptly opening up when not in use.
You can also place the saw in your Glovebox or any small pouch without any problems. The saw is designed by Silky, a brand with almost hundred years of experience in the industry. The blade has two open locking positions that provide inline and flush cutting conveniently.
The handle is made of rubber which provides a non-slip grip and enables you to handle the blade comfortably. It has a curve enabling you to cut through corners with ease and precision. This is a versatile folding saw that can be used for trimming and pruning, landscaping, trail maintenance, camping and general outdoor activity.
- Compact lightweight design
- Built using rust resistant material
- Large number of teeth
- Anti-slip rubber handle
- Clear flip lock carry case
- The blade stroke can be a little tough
- The blade could have been thicker
- The material used in making the blade is flimsy
- Does not cut through thick vegetation
- The carry case material could have been better
2. Felco Folding Saw (F 600)
- QUALITY COMPONENTS - The small saw's high-quality steel, rust-resistant chromed blades deliver effortlessly clean, precise cuts. The impulse heated blade teeth resist corrosion for maintenance-free long term satisfaction.
- MINIMIZES BUILDUP - The Felco 600 folding pull stroke pruning saw's conical blade and expertly designed teeth geometry eliminates clogging and sap build-up for efficient high-performance cutting of large diameters.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE - Felco's exceptionally durable pull-stroke pruning saws provide unmatched performance for a variety of arboriculture, landscaping, and horticultural tasks. The camping saw cuts branches up to 4-inches in diameter
This classic tree pruning saw comes with a strong pull stroke action which is highly effective for trimming and pruning gardens. The product comes with almost 700 positive ratings on Amazon, which confirms it is a reliable investment.
It is made using premium quality components. The blade of the saw is made of high quality steel and rust resistant Chrome plating, which is built to last for a long time without the fear of it getting rusted or rotten.
The saw has been designed to deliver effortless and precise cuts in one go. This is a corrosion-resistant blade that will not require any maintenance for a long time. The saw has a conical blade with teeth effectively placed, ensuring that each cut you make is highly efficient and benefits the plant.
The high pull stroke of this saw provides unmatched performance and can be used for a variety of different tasks, including horticulture, arboriculture and landscaping. The blade is designed to cut branches up to 4 inches.
The saw comes with a non-slip handle that provides increased safety while pruning your garden. It is easy to fold and store away and can conveniently be carried around, even in your pocket.
The uniquely shaped blade works just as well to trim small branches as it does to trim bigger branches. The overall length of this is 14 inches and the blade measures 6 inches.
- Rust resistant blade
- Ergonomically designed blade
- Non-slip grip
- Easy to handle
- Swiss make
- The blade is a little weak
- The pull stroke action is a little difficult to get used to
- The blade gets stuck at times
- It is a little expensive
- The lock design could be better
3. KATANABOY Folding Saw
- Silky New Professional Series Folding Saw
- Largest folding saw on the market
- Allows for 2-handed operation
If you are looking for the best folding saw, it can’t get any better than this. This 500mm folding saw comes within all 5-star rating on Amazon. From the house of Silky, this tool is designed using superior craftsmanship and provides unmatched quality in comparison to any other folding saw.
It is made using Japanese steel, which is known to have the lowest amount of impurities. This saw is not an average folding saw. This is a heavy duty saw that requires two hands to operate as opposed to all other folding saws that can be operated using one hand.
This saw comes in two sizes – a 19.7 inch blade and a 25.6 inch blade, both of which are considered larger than an average sized folding saw. You can actually mince meat using this saw. It comes with a tapered ground blade and a rubber grip handle which ensures you will not lose grip of the saw while it is in action.
The saw also comes with a nylon bag that you can carry over your shoulders. This is not a pocket friendly folding saw. It requires ample amount of space to store. Its tooth hardness and blade flexibility is top-notch, making it easy for you to run through tricky surfaces with ease.
- Heavy duty folding saw
- Great for dense vegetation
- Can be re-sharpened
- Premium quality steel
- Versatile to use
- Not compact
- It will not fit in your pocket
- Cannot be operated with one hand
- A little expensive
- Difficult to handle
4. Coghlan’s Folding Saw
- 21-inch serrated saw blade; rugged anodized aluminum can hold extra blades
- Folds down compactly; weighs just 16 ounces
- Affordable, essential gear for camping, backpacking, backcountry treks, and more
If you are looking for a medium sized folding saw that is reliable to use, then this 210mm folding saw is a great investment. The 8.3 inch saw comes with over 190 positive reviews on Amazon making it easy for you to rely on.
The blade of the saw is made using refined Japanese cutting edge technology, making it easy for you to slice through dense vegetation comfortably. This blade is precision ground and comes with impulse hardened teeth and a superior quality Japanese handle. This makes the blade perform tasks with ease and its ergonomics make handling it a breeze.
It is very difficult to find a saw that is as efficient as this. The 8.3 inch blade comes with 10 teeth per 30mm, making it easy to operate. It also comes with a nice clear hinged plastic carry case that enables you to take it around wherever you want to go without having to worry about the blade snapping out or hurting anyone accidentally.
The blade is ideal for pruning, trimming and redesigning your lawn and garden. It comes from the house of Silky that is known to deliver top-notch folding saws with some of the best designs and unmatched craftsmanship. This is a long lasting saw that can be used for multiple purposes without any struggle.
- Refined Japanese cutting technology
- Impulse hardened teeth
- 10 teeth per 30mm
- Rust proof
- Compact size
- Extremely sharp and prone to cause injuries
- A little difficult to handle
- The material of the carry case could have been better
- Smaller in size
5. Folding Hand Saw Wood Saw Multi -Purpose
- MANY HAND SAWS ARE MADE OF FLIMSY AND CHEAP MATERIALS that bend and even break after a few uses. At Home Planet Gear, we made it our goal to create a SOLID, HIGH-PERFORMING saw made of PREMIUM MATERIALS that don't bend or break. After weeks of testing, we perfected EverSaw Folding Hand Saw, a rugged pull cut hand saw with a MEDIUM-TOOTH, ADJUSTABLE 8” SK5 CARBON STEEL BLADE. Made to easily cut wood, bone, and plastic up to 4” in diameter, cutting will never be a struggle again.
- UNLIKE FOLDING SAWS WITH FAULTY POP-BUTTON LOCKING MECHANISMS that allow the saw to close or snap unexpectedly – a major SAFETY HAZARD – our small hand saw wood is specially designed with a stronger, DEPENDABLE GEAR LOCK to secure the open blade firmly in place. Our folding camp saw ’s blade fits fully into the handle, so NO TEETH ARE EXPOSED when closed – You feel extra safe while carrying it.
- WHILE OTHER hand saws for cutting wood TEND TO BE MUCH DULLER THAN EXPECTED, our saw blade features super sharp, TRIPLE-CUT RAZOR TEETH made for Japanese-style pull cut sawing. Hardened to stay sharp and reduce friction, for SMOOTH, FAST SAWING. And with our butcher saw ’s ergonomic, thermoplastic RIBBED RUBBER HANDLE, you’ll never have to worry about it slipping.
If you are looking for the best large folding saw then this saw from the house of Simply is a smart investment. It is crafted using high quality Japanese steel and comes with a large 7 inch blade making it easy for you to slice through vegetation with ease.
You can saw as you go using this cost-effective folding saw to cut almost anything that you wish without having to worry about putting too much pressure. This saw is effortless to operate and will last you a long time without any maintenance issues whatsoever.
The blade is meticulously designed to allow you to chop off vegetation from different angles without having to stress much. It is constructed using lightweight fiberglass polypropylene and comes with a rubber grip to ensure that the blade does not slip off while you are using it.
It is a combat sized blade that conveniently fits into your pocket, the back of your backpack or your toolbox. The blade is designed using impulse hardening technology, which provides it with more flexibility but still keeps it strong and sturdy even when cutting tough vegetation.
It has multiple teeth per inch and this makes it easier for you to saw without having to go back and forth multiple times. It is great for various purposes and can also be used for small carpentry jobs around the house.
- Reliable brand name
- Heavy duty saw
- Compact size
- Rust resistant
- Does not come with a case
- The blade is curved and it gets a while getting used to
- The blade is not stable and keeps moving from left to right while cutting
- The teeth have a tendency of bending if they get stuck in the wood
- It is a little expensive
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it worth investing in a folding saw?
If you want to get your gardening and pruning done quickly without having to pull out heavy duty tools then the best folding saw is an amazing investment to make.
2. How to determine which folding saw is the best?
You need to take into consideration your requirements prior to deciding whether or not a pruning saw you invest in will fit your needs perfectly or not. While some people have small pruning jobs to get done, others require tools that are more heavy duty.
3. How to choose the right material for my folding saw?
It is highly recommended to choose a blade that is rust resistant and a handle that has an anti slip better grip feature.
We have listed the best folding saw options for you to choose from and we hope you find the perfect model so you can tidy up your garden without too much effort.
Last update on 2021-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API